In previous posts we’ve already highlighted the importance of including social into TV shows, not only to drive TV Tune In, but also to enhance viewers’ experience and amplify the reach of social conversations. Of course, there are several key variables that might affect the success of these objectives, and one of the most important ones, is choosing the right Hashtag for viewers to follow and join the conversation.
A well chosen hashtag can be your most powerful asset to put your show under the spotlight but could also distract the audience from your show, that’s why you must be very careful when choosing one.
After working with over 100 TV shows and broadcasters around the world powering Social TV experiences, we would like to share some tips on how to choose the right hashtag and avoid the most common mistakes.
- Be creative and use simple, catchy terms, that are easy to write and remember.
- Make sure the hashtag has a specific reference to your show, this way it will generate awareness, impressions in social media and trigger audience interest.
- Don`t promote the use of many hashtags at the same time and focus on the term that represents the core of your conversation.
- When creating a Twitter poll try to use short hashtags (longer hasthags generally won’t fit well on a ticker or a videograph)
- Avoid using ambiguous or very general terms, they will be hard to track and generate a distorted analysis.
- Always keep the hashtag visible on the screen
- Try to avoid grouping the same letter together (ex. #funnights) together, it might generate recurring typo mistake
- Keep in mind that you can also have your hashtag sponsored by a brand, which is a creative way to monetize social engagement.
Here are some examples of success cases that you might find interesting:
Presidential Elections Debate in Brazil – Hashtag was easy to remember and follow making reference to the broadcaster and event . READ MORE HERE
Televisa included a poll and a specific hashtag Sponsored by Pepsi for Super Bowl 49. READ MORE HERE
Twitter Polls for MasterChef Brazil – Clear hashtag and CTA. READ MORE HERE
Hope you’ve found these tips useful, and if you are planning your next TV social integration do not hesitate to contact us with any inquires!
You can also see many more Social TV Integrations following this link.